Two great things have happened. One, I got a part-time job at an outlet mall and two, season 8 of Doctor Who has started. I've already completed a week in retail and haven't learned how the cash registrar works yet (In addition, to correctly counting change, I know I'll be asking customers for their email and if they wished to sign up for the company's card) but for now I'm walking around the store folding untidy piles and asking customers if they need anything. The things I don't like about working part-time are the random hours and never being needed when I am on call. The thing I like about working part-time is it gets me out of the house and I get some work experience to put on my resume. Also I've been driving by myself to work now... like a normal adult.
Little by little, I've been working all over the clothing store from being a greeter to working in the back at the dressing room. Customers keep asking me where certain merchandise are in the store when even I have no clue and when they ask a certain size for a black pants, I talk into the walkie-talkie to ask if the company has any more in the back room. The first hours of my four or five hour shift seem long but after the half-way point, the shift seems to end quickly. Then, I clock out at the registrar, get my bags checked at t the door to make sure I didn't commit thievery and then eat my bagged lunch outside of Subways. Now, that the hunger is satisfied by a quartered peanut butter and raisin sandwich and the weather is finally cooperating, I take a walk through the outlets (This Sunday, I ventured a look into Zumiez and hopped onto a longboard priced at $219.00). Also, not only are the hours inconsistent from day to day but I only find out about my schedule from week to week. It's crazy. The first week was during the Labor day madness and I worked for five days. Labor day weekend made the hours go by like rolling water but after Monday my throat felt hoarse.
The second time I asked about my schedule, I only received information for three days. I already had months of not working, I really didn't need a four day vacation between workdays. Working retail is interesting because I am not a chatty extroverted person. Being a greeter stationed mostly near the door was easier because there was no need to go searching for the elusive size 8 three quartered jeans or answer whether the company carried a certain pants that someone saw at a catalogue. I only had to welcome people, say the deals and occasionally fold the rifled through sweaters. It's awkward standing around trying to strike conversation with a doting husband while he waits for his wife to get out the dressing room and then I wander through the clearance aisle trying to make sense of the system and rehang blouses from the floor. The main thing is keeping busy and finding something to do because it makes the hours fly and I want to be useful. As a new to retail part-time employer (especially during the weekdays when only a few customers trickle in a few a time), I want to feel that that company actually needs me. Hopefully, I'll get more hours the next week when the schedule gets made up.
I was excited about the new season of Doctor Who until I realized that in my mom's successful attempt to lower the cable package, I lost BBC America. My dad's lost NetGeo Wild so now he cannot watch endless hyena and lions fighting each other. Now, I have to resort to other means of watching Who. It's harder to watch episodes for free on the internet since fans cannot post them on YouTube anymore without it getting deleted right away and dubious websites make you subscribe to their channel or take annoying surveys before asking for your credit card number thus I've finally looked into Amazon. At least with Amazon, I won't have to worry about viruses entering into the computer.
No comments:
Post a Comment