News
Coverage of the Boston Race
Boston turned into Bagdad
A balmy fifty degrees day on April 15th
Perfect for a marathon until
Boston turned into Bagdad
Sidewalks splotched in red
Celebratory crowds now casualties
of shrapnel from trashcans
bursting through air like amateur fireworks
Faces streaked in tears sprinting in the opposite
direction of the finish line from the explosion.
Marathoners and spectators blend into one.
The race to existence is the schedule for the hour
Phone wielders morphed into cameramen.
Another heat wave 150 meters from the finish line.
Runners without legs,
Bodies bruised, cartilage, limbs,
Shrieking mothers
kneeling in prayer,
mouthing Hail Mary’s
Scouting for love ones
Neon yellow jackets clearing guardrails
Pushing the injured in wheelchairs
Baghdad turned into Boston.
I wrote this on the night of April 15th. I am not too sure about this poem since this is one of the rare times that I write about serious events.
No comments:
Post a Comment